What should a first-aid box in the workplace contain?
There is no mandatory list of contents for first-aid boxes and HSE does not 'approve' or endorse particular products. Deciding what to include should be based on an employer's assessment of first-aid needs. As a guide, where work activities involve low hazards, a minimum stock of first-aid items might be:
- 20 individually wrapped sterile plasters (assorted sizes), appropriate to the type of work (you can provide hypoallergenic plasters, if necessary);
- Two sterile eye pads;
- Four individually wrapped triangular bandages, preferably sterile;
- Six safety pins;
- Two large, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;
- Six medium-sized, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;
- A pair of disposable gloves,
This is only a suggested contents list.
It is recommended that you don't keep tablets and medicines in the first-aid box.